Skip to content
logo The magazine for fitness, health and nutrition
Hollywood Star

Sharon Stone on Stroke: “I had a One Percent Chance of Survival”

Sharon Stone speaks
Sharon Stone hosted this year's American Heart Association (AHA) Red Dress Collection concert where she shared her health story Photo: Getty Images

February 7, 2025, 10:03 pm | Read time: 3 minutes

Sharon Stone has suffered many health setbacks in the past. In 2022, the actress made it public that she had been diagnosed with a fibroid (benign growth) in her uterus. This was despite the fact that she struggled for years with the consequences of a stroke she suffered in 2001 – which almost cost her her life. Now, the 66-year-old has spoken openly about it.

Share article

In 2001, there was great concern about Sharon Stone: Due to a stroke and subsequent brain hemorrhage, the Basic Instinct actress was in critical condition. And although this incident happened 24 years ago, it is probably still bothering the actress. In an interview with People magazine, Sharon Stone spoke openly about how bad the effects of the stroke really were – and how she only just escaped with her life.

Sharon Stone Had Little Chance of Survival

At the end of last January, the actress was given a great honor: she hosted the Red Dress Collection Concert of the American Heart Association (AHA). As part of the event, Sharon Stone also shared her health story with her fans and recalled the time of her stroke. She had a cerebral hemorrhage for nine days due to a ruptured vertebral artery. The doctors had assumed the worst at the time. “I had a one percent chance of survival,” said the Casino actress. And yet she managed to fight her way back to life.

Instagram placeholder
Here you will find content from third-party providers
To interact with or display third-party content, we need your consent.

No Suitable Rehabilitation Measures Were Taken

“When I left the hospital, 18 percent of my body mass was gone, I was dragging my right foot behind me, and I couldn’t write my own name,” says Sharon Stone about the initial period after her stroke. The aftercare was a disaster from her point of view. There was no suitable rehabilitation program that would have stopped her stuttering and which her health insurance would have covered, explains the actress, who says she was “destitute” at the time. While she was trying to get back on her feet, her husband also divorced her. “I had nothing. I had no money and no career,” says Stone.

More on the topic

Sharon Stone Came Back Stronger

The actress wants to use her story to set a good example. “I’m standing here hosting this ball on both feet in 12.5-centimeter high shoes. I’ve done it – and you can too,” she appealed to other sufferers. “I want them to look at me and know that my husband divorced me, everyone fought to take everything away from me, and the bank took $18 million of my life savings.” Despite the obstacles that were put in her way at the time, she fought her way back into life.

Sharon Stone also wants to draw attention to the signs of a stroke. That’s why she named various symptoms during the event, such as a sunken face, numbness, and slurred speech, and advised: “Call an ambulance and go to the hospital […]. Do not hesitate!”



This article is a machine translation of the original German version of FITBOOK and has been reviewed for accuracy and quality by a native speaker. For feedback, please contact us at info@fitbook.de.

Topics Schlaganfall Stars
You have successfully withdrawn your consent to the processing of personal data through tracking and advertising when using this website. You can now consent to data processing again or object to legitimate interests.